Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Tutorial: Dress Alteration...lazy style!

I know in the last post I said I'd promised some reviews but they're not coming up juuuuuuust yet. I wanted to get this tutorial out the way as I have had these photos for quite some time now ( ^_^" )

I was in a situation where I needed to buy a new dress to go out partying in, found one which I really liked the material of and purchased it eventhough it was to long for the occasion (i.e clubbing). I planned to cut and alter it but then I really wanted keep it as a long dress at the same time!! Why didn't I buy another dress? I simply couldn't afford it. Do you want to alter a dress shorter but don't want to sew or cut it up? If so, this is the tutorial for you~!


Before and After

Okies! So to shorten your dress in the lazy manner, you will need:


~ Tape measure
~ A thick belt
~ Some safety pins
~ And of course, your dress!

Step #1

Before you do anything, figure out how much length you want to take off your dress and where you will be wearing your belt. 

Step #2


Lay the dress on a flat surface. With whatever length you want to alter the dress, measuring straight down from wear the belt will be worn. For me, I want to shorten the dress by 7 inches and I will be wearing my belt just below the bust so I measured 7 inches down from below the bust area of the dress.

Step #3


With the measuring tape still on the dress, pinch the tape and the dress.

Step #4


Remove the measuring tape and grab a safely pin to pin the pinched fabric onto the area of the dress where the belt will be worn. You've only shorten a part of the dress so repeat steps 1-3 as many times as you need around the dress (I used 3 pins). Remember to space the pins evenly so your dress doesn't look weird!

Step #5 (if needed)


If your dress is like mine and has I lining, it maybe peeping out after you have pinned the main layer of the dress! Again, just use step 1-3 to shorten the lining in the same way to shortened the dress. BUT bear in mind though, just because you shortened the main layer but x inches/cm means that you shorten the lining but x inches/cm too. The lining is most probably a different length so it will need to be shorten by a different length too.

Any that's really it! Easy right?! Just put your dress on and the belt to hide the unglamours safety pins and you're done; ready to party or whatever the occasion is :D

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! If you want to try this too but got confused with my instructions don't be afraid to as questions (:

14 comments:

  1. Dress alterations save you so much! Plus it could seem like you have a new dress :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! With this dress it's like I have two dresses in one haha :D

      Delete
  2. Nice tutorial~!! :D I sometimes hate it when the dresses are too long >_<"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it!
      Ahh I know the feeling. I think this dress is actually supposed to hit the knee but it goes over that for me coz I'm short >__>

      Delete
  3. Woah, you did a great job! Such a money saver ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just looking for a tutorial on this!
    I buy lots of cute but not fitting dresses at thrift stores and it would be great to alter them all.
    I love the end result of this. It's so cute and stylish :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and glad I helped!
      I go thrifting once in a while too! The dress in this tutorial was actually from the charity shops :D

      Delete
  5. This is a really great tip! It's easy to do and it's nondestructive so you're pretty much getting two styles in one dress. I'll have to keep this in mind for the future. Thanks so much for sharing this! :)

    P.S. The dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Hahaa I know right :D When this method popped into my head it felt like such an oh-my-gosh-I'm-a-genius moment LOLOL. Glad you found this post useful!

      And thank you~!

      Delete
  6. Ooo I have to try this some time.
    The dress fits you really well after you tweaked it!
    Leopard printttttt.. my fave <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do you have to show me some pictures!
      Aaahhh leopard print is one of my favourite prints too :D

      Delete

Feel free to drop me a comment; it makes me happy :D
I try to reply to all comments so don't forget to check back!