Sunday, 29 June 2014

ELF Studio Eyebrow Treat and Tame Review

Those of you who have been following my hair dye adventures will know that I am currently going lighter. I was previously using a brown brow gel from Maybelline but since then I have gone lighter which means a new product is needed if I wanted to match my brows.


I chose ELF Studio Eyebrow Treat and Tame in Ash to be my new test subject



Brush shot. The product has tiny furry fibres


The "treat" side of the product

According to ELF the treatment will "help stimulate hair follicules so your once thin and sparse brows become thicker". I haven't used this side of the product yet so I do not know if these claims are true. The brush is thin and pointed so I'd assume that would make the application of the treatment easy.


Wild naked brows


Brows with the product on


Left with. Right without.

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think this product is very opaque. It does tint my brows to a more ash colour and match them to my hair colour a little better...but my eyebrows are still a bit too dark for my hair colour in my opinion. I had the same problem with my previous brow gel so maybe brow gels can only lighten you brows so much? It looks better when I powder my brows too but I was hoping that this would support my laziness and be a one-product-sorts-it-all-out kind of product. Maybe I need to bleach my brows in order for it to work on it's own...but I don't really want to do that though. On a more positive note, the brow gel does hold my brows in place without flaking for a whole day. I can't tell if the fibres actually help make my brows fuller as my brow hairs are pretty long. Maybe they'll have more of an effect on someone with shorter brow hairs?

::TL;DR::

The Good
- Holds my eyebrows in place
- Doesn't flake, run, smudge etc
- Includes treatment (can't say if it works though)
- It's by ELF so its cheap! Only £3.95

The Bad
- Tint is not opaque enough for my dark brows to match my hair colour
- You may need to use addition products if you want to lighten dark brows
- Did not feel the fibres made a difference
- Have to order online. ELF isn't sold in drugstores in the UK

For the other dark-browed people out there that want to lighten their brows with one product; I don't think this is the product for you. I'll only repurchase this if I really can't find a product that's a one-does-it-all product. I think the next brow gel I buy will be from an Asian brand because they seem to do a better job at lightening brows on their own. As for now, my eyebrow routine will have to be the combination of brow powder, brow gel and a little more effort.

6 comments:

  1. The difference is very subtle but I think works good, thank you for your review!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It products a very natural effect! I don't even touch my brows but I probably should xD

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first i was very skeptical on bleaching my brows but since my hair is light i decided to be brave and finally bleach them. I am so happy that i did it because i no longer need to apply brow tints or gel. I use sally hansen bleaching cream and leave it for around 2-3 mins and voila, i achieve the brow color that i wanted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a little too subtle for me ^^" Maybe I just need to get used to it haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very natural but I think I want something more than that lol
    I'd say don't touch them unless you need to! I've overplucked my brows in the past. Worse days of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I think about it the more I want to bleach them! However, I've actually bleached my brows in the past and the hairs grow pretty fast so I either have to bleach them often or have brow hairs that are half black half brown xD But I didn't use brow gels back then so maybe gel's can help it look less weird if I do bleach them...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to drop me a comment; it makes me happy :D
I try to reply to all comments so don't forget to check back!