Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Clinique High Impact Mascara Review

A lot of times when I go to a supermarket, I look at the magazine section to see if any of them have any freebies I want to try out. I was in Tesco a few days ago and noticed that the current issue of Glamour came with Clinique freebies. It was a decision between Clinique's moisturizer or mascara (they're giving away chubby sticks too but my store didn't have them :c). I've already tried out the moisturizer in the past so my curiosity told me to go for the mascara.


It's so teeny tiny!


Standard looking brush


Clinique on the left. No mascara on the right


Clinique vs current go to mascara (CG Lash Blast Volume)

I feel like this is history repeating itself *cough* BADgal lash *cough*. Just proves that high end brand doesn't always equal better quality. A full size tube of this mascara costs £17.50! Have to admit that I did like this mascara when I first applied it. It straighten out my curls a little but my lashes were still up. I remember thinking "wow the volume and length is amazing!" whilst I continued to apply the mascara to the other eye. By the time I was finished with the second eye, I had one eye with droopy lashes and one eye with lashes pointing upwards. Fast forward a couple of minutes, I had a pair of droopy lashes :( The mascara is very easy remove; which can be a good or bad point depending on who you are. For me, it definitely was different from removing the heavy duty mascaras I'm so used to. Unfortunately, easy removable is not something I look for in a mascara as I prefer not to worried about it running down my face when my eyes water. Then again, I don't think I'd step out the house wearing this mascara haha. I am a fan of Clinique's skincare range so I really wanted to like this mascara. I should have gone for the free moisturizer because I know I liked it in the past! Oh well *sigh*

:: TL;DR ::

The Good
- Volume was pretty impressive
- Gives a lengthening effect
- Very easy to remove. Just add water!

The Bad
- Weights down curls
- Not waterproof
- Expensive

I was really bummed about this mascara and judging by my result, I think it's safe to bet that I won't be purchasing this mascara. I wouldn't recommend it to the people out there with straight lashes. However, for those with naturally curled lashes who wants volume, lengthen and something easy to remove; this could be a mascara for you to try if you don't mind the higher price.

What mascaras have disappointed you? (If you've followed me for a while, you'll know my list is probably pretty long!)

9 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks for sharing!

    xx,

    www.mellowyellowblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are pretty much the same as yours, volume and length was good but couldn't hold a curl for as long as I wanted. Lucky it's just the sample size!

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that this is one of my favourite mascaras! It doesn't irritate my eyes (which a lot of mascaras do), comes off easily in the shower but still manages not to smudge on my oily lids. I have to agree though, the regular version isn't the best at keeping a curl (most non-waterproof ones aren't) and it is pretty expensive :(

    On the other hand, holy sht that CG mascara looks bangin' on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really bother with expensive mascaras since I'm stingy lol. I'd have to say I had high hopes for Benefit's They're Real mascara but ultimately was disappointed since it made my curl droop big time - did love have naturally lengthening it was though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I would have ever tried it if I didn't come across this sample! Ugh, it annoys me so much when a mascara can't hold curls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it works for you! Do you use the waterproof version?? Coz I think my one is the regular version since it's only a sample :'D I always buy waterproof versions of mascaras if I can though! And haha thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me neither haha! I only try high end mascara's if it's a sample because I am so easily disappointed by mascaras it'd be silly if I splashed out on them!! I was so desperate to try Benefit's They're Real mascara when it came out but after seeing some people saying that it didn't hold curls for them I've calmed down a little now lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks >w<" Haha I think if I did go out and buy the full sized tube this review would have been a lot more negative!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to drop me a comment; it makes me happy :D
I try to reply to all comments so don't forget to check back!